September 20, 2011

Following our summer break, the Aiken Audubon Society in Colorado Springs will
begin its monthly meetings on Wednesday, September 21 with a visit from the Air
Force Falcons (the birds, not the football team).

When: Wednesday, September 21, 2011
6:30 p.m., socializing with snacks; 7:00 p.m. program starts; 8:30 p.m.,
approximate end time
Event is free and RSVP is not required.

Where: Colorado Division of Wildlife (Colorado Springs), 4255 Sinton Road, Rear
Entrance

You’ve seen them at the football games, and perhaps at Eagle Days at Lake
Pueblo State Park. Now meet them in person as we welcome some of the Air Force
Academy falcons and their cadet handlers for our September Aiken program.

Learn how the Air Force Academy falconry program works—how the birds are
obtained, how they are trained, and what it takes to be one of the select few
allowed to care for and train such impressive predators. Some of the birds are
from Africa, others are North American natives of the boreal forest.

A brief presentation will be followed by an open question and answer session.
Come and satisfy your curiosity in this small group setting! There will be
plenty of time for photos as well. We recommend this program for children.
Perhaps a close-up encounter with a falcon will inspire a lifetime passion for
birds.

(From the USAF Academy Website) On Oct. 5, 1955, a splendid peregrine was the
first falcon presented to the cadet wing. It was named "Mach 1," referring to
the speed of sound. While "Mach 1" is still the official mascot name, each bird
receives an individual name from the falconers. Ten to 15 falcons are kept in
the mews (enclosures for trained hawks) north of the cadet area. The majority
are prairie falcons native to Colorado. Cadets train both the tiercels (males)
and falcons (females) to perform flying demonstrations.

Falconry is one of the extracurricular activities offered to cadets. There are
usually 12 falconers, with four chosen from each new class at the end of the
year to replace graduating seniors. The new falconers begin training in January
under the leadership of experienced upperclassmen, the officer-in-charge and a
Master Falconer. Without proper instruction, novices can physically harm the
birds or adversely affect their training. Falconers' duties include daily
checks of each bird's health and condition, training sessions during which the
birds are fed a measured ration of meat, frequent cleaning of the mews and
routine maintenance of equipment.

 We hope to see you there!

Christine A. Bucher
Secretary, Aiken Audubon Society
Perched on the edge of Palmer Park, Colorado Springs