Colorado Birders,

My wife and I are taking a vacation to Colorado from September 29 to
October 5 and we are looking for birding tips for southeast Colorado.
Our itinerary has us in Comanche National Grassland (section near La
Junta), Great Sand Dunes National Park, and near Salida. I am
particularly interested in current/expected conditions of some of the
reservoirs and wetlands in the area, especially those near La Junta
and the San Luis Valley wetlands. Many wetland areas in Kansas are
almost completely dry, making finding birds difficult. Is this the
case in SE Colorado as well? Any other tips on good areas, including
trails in the national park, would be great. I have spent very little
time west of Kansas so I am hoping for many lifers. You can reply to
me offlist with tips unless you have observations that would be of
interest to the broader community.

Thank you,
Steve Roels
Lawrence, KS