Hi all,

A few weeks ago I was granted permission to trap owls inside RMNP (this
coincides with my park research permit). A small group of up set up nets and
played the recording of a Northern Saw-whet Owl. In a few minutes there were
three birds calling back to the lure, non were caught though.

At 9:00 pm I switched the audio lure to the Boreal Owl call. Within 15 minutes
there was a Boreal Owl perched a few feet from one of  the nets looking at the
speakers.  I stepped away allowing the others to come up to see the owl perched
in the woods.  Unfortunately the bird had moved.

After a short...very short frantic search, the bird was found in the net.  This
beautify bird was an HY (hatching year) bird that weighed 133.6 grams and had a
wing length on 172 mm.

Pictures of the bird can be seen on my facebook page.

Scott Rashid
Estes Park