COBirders,

First, thank you to Steve and Tim for the great find and getting the word out
of the COMMON GROUND-DOVE.  Brad Steger and I started at this location at about
6:20AM and around 6:40AM Brad found the bird along the two track that is on the
east side of hwy 385.  See the URL I will provide later for a map of the area
and a pinpoint location of where the bird like to hang out today.  The other
nice bird at his was a RUSTY BLACKBIRD that Brad flushed literally right before
he found the Dove.

Between Julesburg and Ovid along county road 28 we found three HARRIS'S
SPARROWs in a field that also had what may have been as many as 200 AMERICAN
TREE SPARROWs.  Although we probably only saw about 100 or so Sparrows here as
we watched the tall grass that extended south from the road a long ways we
would see Sparrows popping up and then going back down.  See URL for location.

We were now in Ovid where we worked Ovid woods and spent over an hour on a
single bird.  We had a "stub-tailed" Wren at this location.  We both feel that
it sounds much like we believe Pacific Wren sounds (Wilson's Warbler like) and
although it is not a real dark looking bird its colors are fairly uniform
through the throat and belly area.  I will be getting some photos out to a few
people for review along with a short video clip.  The location was between the
two bridges at Ovid Woods.  See URL for location.  There was also a Red-bellied
Woodpecker at this  location.

About six miles west of the town Sedgwick on county road 28 we stopped at a
grove of trees that lie on the north side of the road.  There were many
American Robins here that got our attention.  As we watched from the road we
had an "eastern race" BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER.  Then Brad said he thought he
heard a EASTERN TOWHEE and about a minute or two later we finally got good
looks at a female Eastern Towhee.

Finally, we made it to Jumbo Reservoir.  Apparently a little turnover from
yesterday.  Unfortunately, the Trumpeter Swan was nowhere to be found while we
were there nor where the Greater Scaup (certainly would be easy to miss
these).  We had a single LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL (2nd cycle) in Sedwick, two
THAYER'S GULLs (adult, 1st cycle) the youngster was in Sedgwick and the adult
was somewhere near the county line, not sure which county it was in.  We had
very similar numbers of white geese plus a single GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE
in with the CACKLING and CANADAs.  In addition to things that Steve and Tim
reported yesterday we had a single PACIFIC LOON on the Logan side and a single
RED-NECKED GREBE on the Sedgwick side.  Too many sides to this lake.

At Little Jumbo we had a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 20+ BONAPARTE'S GULLs.
We really did not bird here much so easily could have missed some stuff.

Next was Haxtun elementary/middle school, which was packed with American Robins
and CEDAR WAXWINGS.  There were also three HARRIS'S SPARROWs at this location.
NOTE:  These birds would not be "chaseable" during school hours.  Nothing else
in what little we did in town.  But just east of town near the Haxtun sewer
ponds we had 250+ LAPLAND LONGSPURs.  The sewer ponds themselves held a
whopping TWO birds, RUDDY DUCKs.

Next we poked around the town of Holyoke and had the most unexpected bird of
the day right in town near the park that is on the south edge of town.  Feeding
at the top of a spruce there was a RED CROSSBILL, this was not so unexpected as
I have seen Red Crossbill in this exact tree before.  But the next thing I
know, Brad is calling out WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL.  There were six total
Crossbills but only two were visible until they flew.  Both were female types
and one of each species.  The other four went unidentified as they all flew and
we could not re-find them.  I think these birds will be around for a little
while, it is just a matter of finding them.  There are a number of large
spruces in town with a lot of cones.  If you search for these birds I would
just look for the spruces.  Also, the cemetery that is on the southeast side of
town could be a place to find these birds as I have had Red Crossbills there
before in the pines and spruces.

Our last stop of the day was Bonny Reservoir.  The water has come down a lot
since I was last there in October.  Three BONAPARTE'S GULLs were nice and nine
HOODED MERGANSERs.  Still a handful of WESTERN GREBEs and RING-BILLED GULLS.
About 20 GREAT BLUE HERONs on the west end.  Then there were about 10,000
MALLARDS.  At the end of the road that goes west from the "old" visitor's
center we had (the sun had just set):  two NORTHERN CARDINALs, five
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES, one BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, one FIELD SPARROW (looked
like a western bird), one GRAY CATBIRD and a flyover calling WILSON'S SNIPE
(headed south).  As we were at this location we could here thousands of white
geese coming into the reservoir.

Hopefully I did not forget anything.  I made a Google Map of some of the above
birds that were at semi-random locations.  Thanks again to Steve and Tim for
the great find!

<http://g.co/maps/6a64w>

-----
Mark Peterson