I poked around Boulder today with Tom Thomson. Some items of general interest
to the birding community:
1. Pacific Loon was close to the northwest shore of Boulder Reservoir (access
from northwest parking lot on N 55th St.)
2. At Walden Ponds, we tried unsuccessfully to find the previously reported
Sedge Wren. At the northeast corner of the pond where the Sedge Wren had been
reported, we could hear a distant call note coming from the vicinity of a brush
pile within the private area on the north side of the pond. Listening to wren
calls on Xeno-canto.org, this call matched the pitch of Pacific Wren, but the
cadence (“pit-pit  pit-pit-pit”) of Winter Wren. So, if you are in the area,
watch for a “stub-tailed” wren along that part of Boulder Creek.
3. At Baseline Reservoir, we saw two interesting dabbling ducks at the
southwest edge of the receding lake (lake has been drained):
    a. One was the same size and shape and overall coloration of accompanying
female Green-winged Teal, except that its vent (seen when dabbling) was
slightly more tan-shaded, and more interesting, its speculum was darker
(blackish) and strongly bordered with white (upper and lower borders). From a
distance, it looked like a female Mallards speculum, although I did not
actually see blue. It looked blackish (not green at all). Possible explanations:
        1. This is a female Eurasian Green-winged Teal (aka Common Teal)
        2. This is a hybrid Green-winged Teal x Garganey
        3. This is a hybrid Green-winged Teal x Mallard
    b. The second duck was similar in size and shape and coloration of adult
male Gadwall, except that it had a rich brown on the top of the head (down to
the eye), and a buffy cheek and throat. The head pattern was reminiscent of a
Bahama Pintail. There appeared to be a thin black line around the back of the
head. I suspect hybrid Gadwall x Northern Pintail.
4. Dodd Reservoir hosted hundreds of white-cheeked geese of a variety of sizes,
and 6 Snow Geese.
5. Lagerman Reservoir – 2 Bonaparte’s Gulls

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO