My favorite winter birding route in El Paso County; Prospect Lake, Big
Johnson Res, Squirrel Creek Rd. Monday, Nov 21.

Highlights:

.         Cackling Geese - thanks to Bill M for noting the good numbers of
Cackling and Lesser Canada Geese in close proximity at Prospect Lake. While
they mostly seemed to 'raft' separately as a species, the rafts were right
next to each other and close to shore for some of the best comparison
observing I have had. No Ross' Goose at this time as noted by Bill. Plenty
of both Geese at Big Johnson as well. But by far closer looks at Prospect.

.         Bald Eagle forced large numbers of Geese into the air at Big
Johnson. Always a great sight to see. Reminds me of being at Bosque del
Apache.

.         Lesser Scaup at Big Johnson; and I tried hard to turn one into a
Greater Scaup. It fished with the definite Lesser's but always at the
periphery of the group. Close enough to make me think the head shape was
right and the color was greenish. But at that distance I am always hesitant
to make that call until it hopefully shows me the amount of white in the
extended wing; which it never did. So I didn't count it; but my guess would
be that this was one.

.         Clark's Grebe among Western's at Prospect Lake.

.         Merlin (fem) along Squirrel Creek Rd; hunting from fence posts and
telephone poles.

.         Lapland Longspur; one, in with a flock of hundreds of horned
larks. At a cattle water tank on the north side of the road (40' off road),
about eight-tenths of a mile west of S. Ellicott Hwy. The water tank was
mostly frozen but seeping water over the edge and into the pasture. This was
the first big flock of horned larks I saw on the road, so I pulled over and
settled in to watch the flock as they continuously took to flight and came
back to land and forage and drink; at times just a few dozen at a time and
at other times, hundreds at a time. After about 15 minutes I found my first
non-Horned-Lark! Yeah. Rufous greater coverts, distinct and bold outline to
auriculars; distinct median and lateral crown stripes. The head and upper
parts of the bird were the parts best seen among the grass and all the
larks. Neat thing is, that this flock continuously took to flight and would
come back and land anywhere within an acre surrounding this spot; however
this longspur always landed in the same 9 inches of ground every time. So,
while its time on the ground was short; sometimes only staying put for a
mere 2 seconds to 30 seconds at most; I could set the scope on the spot and
it always came back to the same view! I stayed for another 20 minutes and
this is the only non-horned-lark I could find.

Surprisingly, no rough-legged or ferriginous hawks along Squirrel Ck Rd.
Which I usually find this time of year. Plenty of red-tailed everywhere, but
no rufous or harlan's plumaged individuals.

Complete list below.

Jeff J Jones

( <mailto:jjo...@jonestc.com> jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands

FIRST SIGHTINGS: World: 0, Location: 0, Annual: 3, World Annual: 3

Species: 37 - Subspecies: 0 - Forms: 37

Total Records: 59

BIG JOHNSON RESEVOIR - 31

Cackling Goose            Branta hutchinsii

Canada Goose              Branta canadensis

American Wigeon           Anas americana

Mallard                   Anas platyrhynchos

Northern Shoveler         Anas clypeata

Northern Pintail          Anas acuta

Canvasback                Aythya valisineria

Redhead                   Aythya americana

Lesser Scaup [a*]         Aythya affinis

Bufflehead                Bucephala albeola

Common Goldeneye          Bucephala clangula

Hooded Merganser          Lophodytes cucullatus

Common Merganser          Mergus merganser

Ruddy Duck                Oxyura jamaicensis

Eared Grebe               Podiceps nigricollis

Western Grebe             Aechmophorus occidentalis

Double-crested Cormorant  Phalacrocorax auritus

Bald Eagle                Haliaeetus leucocephalus

Northern Harrier          Circus cyaneus

Red-tailed Hawk           Buteo jamaicensis

American Kestrel          Falco sparverius

American Coot             Fulica americana

Ring-billed Gull          Larus delawarensis

Northern Flicker          Colaptes auratus

Black-billed Magpie       Pica hudsonia

American Crow             Corvus brachyrhynchos

Horned Lark               Eremophila alpestris

Black-capped Chickadee    Poecile atricapillus

European Starling         Sturnus vulgaris

Western Meadowlark        Sturnella neglecta

House Finch               Carpodacus mexicanus

PROSPECT LAKE - 21

Cackling Goose [a*]       Branta hutchinsii

Canada Goose              Branta canadensis

American Wigeon           Anas americana

Mallard                   Anas platyrhynchos

Northern Shoveler         Anas clypeata

Bufflehead                Bucephala albeola

Ruddy Duck                Oxyura jamaicensis

Eared Grebe               Podiceps nigricollis

Western Grebe             Aechmophorus occidentalis

Clark's Grebe             Aechmophorus clarkii

Double-crested Cormorant  Phalacrocorax auritus

American Coot             Fulica americana

Ring-billed Gull          Larus delawarensis

Rock Pigeon               Columba livia

Northern Flicker          Colaptes auratus

Black-billed Magpie       Pica hudsonia

American Crow             Corvus brachyrhynchos

American Robin            Turdus migratorius

European Starling         Sturnus vulgaris

House Finch               Carpodacus mexicanus

House Sparrow             Passer domesticus

SQUIRREL CREEK RD - 7

Bufflehead                Bucephala albeola

American Kestrel          Falco sparverius

Merlin                    Falco columbarius

Black-billed Magpie       Pica hudsonia

Horned Lark               Eremophila alpestris

Lapland Longspur [a*]     Calcarius lapponicus

Western Meadowlark        Sturnella neglecta

Birder's Diary - www.BirdersDiary.com - 11/22/2011