Hi Connie,
This might be useful: "New Mexico Bird Finding Guide" published by the
New Mexico ornithological Society, third edition.
Available here http://www.nmbirds.org/?page_id=83
and here: http://www.amazon.com/New-Mexico-Bird-Finding-Guide/dp/B0006S1FRI

For AZ, There is a lot of info on this site for the South Arizona Bird
Observatory: http://www.sabo.org/
They have a map of sites.

The "gilbert water ranch" aka "Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch" in
Gilbert or suburban Phoenix had the largest variety of birds we saw in
AZ last year. Google for images on "gilbert water ranch".

In Tucson, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has a "raptor free flight
demo". We saw the demo with the family of Harris hawks flying over our
heads last year: very nice.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/visit/events_freeflights.php?ref=hp

have fun!
Roger