Around 12:30 this afternoon there was a Harlan's Hawk just north of the C470 & Quincy Exit on the west side of the highway. The bird was perched low in a tree and had white mottling on the breast, which was evident to the naked eye. This bird may be the one Cyndy Johnson has reported in the area??? It is definitely a different bird than the one I reported in December - that bird had very little or no discernible white on the front ( I couldn't see any white with binocs, but photos showed a few white feathers) and was always seen perched high on top of a light pole or other tall structure.

I believe Wheeler would call today's bird a DARK INTERMEDIATE MORPH "HARLAN'S
and the bird reported in December a DARK MORPH "HARLAN'S.

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County