Cobirders,

Squirrels ply down cables from  the nearby  gulch into our  backyard to
ground-feed beneath squirrel-proof  bird feeders. Yesterday  around 10 AM on
Jan 16,  a fairly large raptor, probably the resident  Prairie Falcon,
apparently  swooped in on one of the squirrels carrying  it down into the
6-inch-thick snow field and with one bounce and on a few  feet to leave a
five-foot
circle of markings of the intense struggle that  ensued.  The raptor left
the nearly dead squirrel, which crawled a  few feet to die. This story was
written based on the evdence.  I did not  see it happen,

This morning the squirrel was gone. Tracks show that it was drug through
the snow and over  the fence into our front yard.

This is the first time I have seen  the death of a squirrel.

Peaceful birding,

Warren Finch