Folks,

This morning, Dan Maynard and I met at Anthem Pond in Broomfield.  I have no
idea if this is the actual name of this body of frozen water, but it is
squarely in the Anthem subdivision of Broomfield.  I had checked the pond at
Sheridan and Lowell first, but found no gulls there.  A few hundred gulls
roosted in a tight group on the ice at Anthem, just east of Lowell.  We spotted
a Glaucous Gull-looking bird right off the bat.  It was darker than any juvi
Glaucous Gull that I had seen before, but otherwise was very large (larger than
nearby Herring Gulls) and blocky looking, with a bi-colored pink and black
bill.  As I reported earlier, we concluded it must be a very young Glaucous
Gull.  But after examining photos, I believe the bird is probably a Glaucous X
Herring Gull, based on the pattern of the extended wing (darker outer
primaries, paler inner primaries, darker secondaries).  I would gladly
entertain other ID possibilities.

Next, Dan pointed out a difficult to find, adult Lesser Black-backed Gull,
buried, sleeping and head-on to our view.  There was at least one adult
Thayer's Gull as well as an adult California Gull.  A dozen or so adult Herring
Gulls rounded out the remaining non-Ring-billed Gulls.  We continued to
scrutinized this group of birds for 30 minutes or so, as more gulls continually
streamed in from the northeast.  Shortly after Tom McConnell arrived, the tight
group of gulls dispersed somewhat allowing us to see individuals that were
buried by other birds earlier.  It was then we scoped a phenotypical, adult
Kumlien's Iceland Gull.  The bird was next to an adult Thayer's Gull and by
comparison, had a more rounded head and smaller bill that appeared greenish
yellow near the base.  The folded primaries looked pale gray and white,
compared to the blackish and white primaries of the Thayer's Gull.   It had a
dirty yellow iris that appeared pale compared with the dark iris of the
Thayer's.  Several of the birds took flight, including the Iceland Gull.  It's
wing-tips looked nearly all white in flight, but photos reveal a pale gray
outer web web on the outer primaries.  The overall mantle color was about a
shade paler than the Herring Gulls.  This bird, along with a couple dozen
others, circled once and flew towards the northeast.  It is very likely the
bird had been there the entire time we observed the group, but wasn't clearly
visible.  'Thanks' go out to Ira!

Glenn Walbek

Castle Rock, CO

http://www.pbase.com/gwalbek/2012_birds