Hello, Birders.

First off, you know what I think about Greater Scaup identification...  ;)

That said, yesterday, Monday, Jan. 30th, I saw near downtown Boulder a bird
that looked good for Greater Scaup. This bird was on one of the little ponds at
the southwest corner of the colossal intersection of Arapahoe Road and
Foothills Parkway. Interestingly, these ponds have harbored one or a few
presumed Greater Scaups most (all?) winters for the past decade.

The bird was a male, close-up and in the immediate vicinity of several Lesser
Scaups. If you have a chance to check out the bird, try to view it in direct
comparison with the Lessers. The size comparison is actually rather notable.
And, of course, head shape, bill size and pattern, wing pattern (the bird flaps
its wings a bit, or, at least, it did while I was watching it), and, to some
extent, plumage. Re: plumage. Despite The Sibley Guide's dissing of head-gloss
color, I'm with Angus Wilson on this one: I find that, in general, Greaters are
green-headed and Lessers are purple-headed.

A final thought. Am I absolutely certain that this bird is a Greater Scaup?
Well, on that note, I'll wrap up with a marvelous quote from Nobel laureate
Peter Medawar, in his classic "Advice to a Young Scientist" (1979):

"I cannot give any scientist of any age better advice than this: The intensity
of the conviction that a hypothesis is true has no bearing on whether it is
true or not. The importance of the strength of our conviction is only to
provide a proportionately strong incentive to find out if the hypothesis will
stand up to critical evaluation."

In other words: It doesn't matter what you believe. In particular, don't trust
a birder who says "I know what I saw" or "I'm 100% certain" or "I'm absolutely
positive" or anything like that. Isn't that wonderful? Birding always keeps us
guessing. Life--if lived properly--always keeps us guessing.

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado