Like the Bols, I too visited Horseshoe Lake , although later in the day. I
found hundreds of gulls in the southwest corner of the lake, viewed from the
Monroe St. on the west side. When I arrived, some gulls were leaving, including
an adult “black-backed” gull and a young “white-winged gull”. Among the gulls
that stayed, an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, an adult Thayer’s Gull and a
young Thayer’s Gull were harassing a flock of 27 Common Goldeneye. In this
flock was an adult male Long-tailed Duck in winter plumage.

I followed these gulls as they flew off to the southwest to a roost at the
south side of Lake Loveland, where over 500 gulls were on the ice shelf at
dusk. Among these were two young Thayer’s Gulls and 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls
(3 adults). Many other gulls continued flying southwest towards Carter Lake.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO