Mary Cay Burger, her brother John who is visiting from Spokane, and I
visited Red Rocks Park this morning about 9 a.m.  I put out some seed and
the flock of 40-50 rosy-finches that were hanging out in the crevices of the
rock wall came in to feed, along with all 5 juncos, one Song Sparrow, one Am
Tree Sparrow, scrub jays, many House Finches including one yellow male.  I
did not see the Golden-crowned Sparrow, but I was photographing the rosys.
Found a Northern Shrike in the Shiprock Parking lot.

Then we went up to 138th and Harvest Dr in Adams Co. about 1 p.m. and found,
along with two other birders, the juv Snowy Owl along the same pipeline
parallel to 138th and directly north of it, the same place that I saw it on
8 Jan.  As Doug said yesterday, from the corner of Harvest Dr, turn west
about ΒΌ mi and park along the edge of the road.  Look north and the SNOW
sits along that pipeline.  It seems to have more white on the top and top
back of the head than it did in Jan, IF it is the same bird.  I photographed
it and will see if they turned out.  It was sitting in a clump of weeds.

We stopped at Barr L.  Flushed 26 robins out of a couple of shelterbelts,
but nothing else.  The lake is partially melted.  I counted 22 Bald Eagles
on the ice or in the cottonwoods.  Of those, 9 were juvs.  We also saw a
Merlin hunting near Barr L.

Kay

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.
Niyo Scientific Communications