Today I led a group of 11 from the Boulder Bird Club to various mountain
feeders in western Boulder County.  We started on a tip to look for a wren
species in lower Lefthand Canyon.  We failed in that pursuit, but did get a
glimpse of a Golden-crowned Kinglet and had a Golden Eagle soaring over
Buckingham Park.

By the time we hit Ward the wind had really picked up, but the birds were still
feeder bound.  "Lower Ward" had its usual large flock of Evening Grosbeaks plus
a couple of Pine Grosbeaks and a couple Clark's Nutcrackers.  "Upper Ward" had
a few additional of both grosbeak species plus a medium sized flock of about 25
Brown-capped Rosy-finches with views of from 10 feet in some cases.  One
Hepburn's Gray-Crowned Rosy-finch was in the mix.

Allenspark was less windy and with a different mix of birds.  Here there were
many American Goldfinches along with Pygmy Nuthatches, Hairy and Downy
Woodpeckers, a handful of Pine Siskin and a Cassin's Finch.

Bill Kaempfer
Boulder