Hello, Birders.

No rarities to report, but some birds of local interest, from Boulder County
yesterday, Friday, March 9th. Definitely a pinewoods theme. Here goes:

In "Upper" Ward (which is a bit like referring to exits off Baca County roads),
still 2 Brown-capped Rosy-Finches hanging out at the feeders discovered a few
weeks ago by Bill Kaempfer and Alex Brown. Many Evening Grosbeaks and a few
Pine Grosbeaks in the area too. And odd to hear a pair of Great Horned Owls
hooting, one to the other, in broad daylight.

In Allenspark, a sprawling swarm of Evening Grosbeaks in the general vicinity
of 2nd Avenue and Ski Road. At least 5 Cassin's Finches, including songsters,
here too.

In the Wild Basin section of Rocky Mountain National Park, in the woods
immediately west of Copeland Lake, an immense flock of tree-pecking birds.
Nuthatches and woodpeckers galore, but the Clark's Nutcrackers and Mountain
Chickadees were also getting in on the tree-pecking action. What's up with
that? Haveta say, I was sorta half-expecting to find Leatherman out there,
sneaking through the woods and surreptitiously applying on the tree trunks a
nice fresh coating of sweet-smelling beetle juice. At one point, I had 11
different Hairy Woodpeckers accounted for; so I decided to look for American
Three-toed Woodpeckers. And I found one. A beautiful male. Here's a tip for
finding American Three-toed Woodpeckers: http://tinyurl.com/6v53dae

Along Old South Road in suburban Lyons (cf. Upper Ward and exits off Baca
County roads), 3 small flocks of Bushtits and a flock of bluebirds going over.
Didn't get more than a glimpse at the bluebirds; probably Mountains, but I'm
not sure.

In the Lichen Loop parking lot, off Left Hand Road (off US-36), Type 5 Red
Crossbills calling pretty much continually.

Oh. I have a butterfly question. I'd consult a butterfly book, but they've all
been "borrowed," it would seem. Along Old South Road, I saw a few butterflies
that looked somewhat like small versions of Milbert's Tortoiseshells. I hope
that description--coupled with the observation that they were flying in early
March amid still-partially-snow-covered rock outcroppings--is enough for an ID.

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado