Jeff et al.,

This sounds like a remarkable observation, and it far surpasses anything in
my experience, even though I've seen Cassin's Finches in what I thought
were large singing flocks at this time of year (dozens of birds, but still
less than 100).  However, the Birds of North America account of the species
seems to indicate that something similar may have been recorded before.
Here's the relevant text:

"Breeds semicolonially (~100–1,500 individuals, Samson
1976b<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib059>;
nests ~25 m apart on average, Mewaldt and King
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib040>).
Spends remainder of year in flocks (e.g., Orr
1968<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib047>,
Samson
1977<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib060>,
Mewaldt and King
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib040>).
Breeding colony may remain more or less intact as coherent group through
winter (Mewaldt and King
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib040>).
Apparently flocks in winter and during spring migration can be substantial
(e.g., “large flock” on 31 May, Boulder, CO [Minot
1880<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib041>];
“large flock” on 19 Feb, Tucson, AZ [Scott
1887<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib062>];
flock of 39 birds, 2 Jan, Providence Mtns., CA [Johnson et al.
1948<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib031>];
congregations up to 5,000 in Dec in Colorado [Chapin
1958<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/240/articles/species/240/biblio/bib010>
])."

It might be worth a field note for *Colorado Birds*.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder