>Bill Hackos and I heard singing and then saw a Western Wood Pewee at
Bryant and Evergreen parkway in Evergreen on Saturday 31 March

JoAnn--

I recently read a very enlightening post on the Mass birding listserv by
Marshall Iliff <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Mail/MassBird/1147496>,
the project leader for ebirds, that you and others may want to be aware
of.  Though it is in reference to reported sightings in the East, I think
it has relevance to us also since we have Wood-Pewees, Starlings and
Eastern Phoebes.  Also note that the closes sighting on a Western
Wood-Pewee on ebird in Mexico about 200 miles south of Phoenix.

"EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE -- Every single year, in most eastern states, Eastern
Wood-Pewee is reported up to a month earlier than any documented record.
Here in Massachusetts, the species should be reported with extreme caution
anytime before 1 May (or even 5 May). The primary culprit? European
Starling. Singing starlings mimic Eastern Wood-Pewee a lot and birders who
are good with bird sounds, but not aware of this problem, regularly get
ensnared by starlings singing Eastern Wood-Pewee songs. A good rule of
thumb, track down your FOY pewee ad check it visually!
The other problem though is the very real challenge of telling
Eastern Phoebe from other flycatchers. Lets face it, when April and May
roll around, we are all rusty on our flycatchers, since they have been gone
for the whole winter. Eastern Phoebe does wag its tail a lot, has no face
pattern at all, has a stubby black bill, and pretty dull wings and
upperparts. It behaves like a phoebe too, and is conspicuous and often
around bridges and eaves of houses."

There is a lot of other good info in this post.

I don't know what you  heard but in case it was a Starling, many a birder
has heard them give very good imitations of a number of species.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @
http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/category/birding/ (new link)