Hi Everyone--

Today 4/7 Marcia Marvin and I went to Cheyenne and back via the Pawnee
grasslands. Most of the ponds are dry or nearly so, but a pond near the
corner of WCR 77 and WCR 122 still had water. We saw mostly Northern
Shovelers there; a single male Red-breasted Merganser was unexpected.
McCown's Longspur numbers are up considerably from a couple of weeks ago.
Along WCR 96 just east of the Burrowing Owl sign, several flocks flew over;
one Chestnut-collared Longspur was with them, judging by call. Crow Valley
Campground is open to all now, and between the boom boxes and the dogs and
the garrulous campers, we didn't see much in the way of birds. We looked for
Mountain Plover along WCR 96, but did not see any.

Elsewhere today we saw an Osprey near St Vrain State Park in Longmont, and a
light-morph Swainson's Hawk crossing I-80 just east of Cheyenne.

Mark Miller
Longmont, CO