Scott Rashid and I were quite surprised to see an American Bittern at Lake
Estes this evening.  Fortunately a young fisherman asked us what that bird
was that had been standing in the same spot for an hour.  It was standing
on the rocky east shore of the Big Thompson River as it enters Lake Estes.
 It was readily visible for the walk bridge over the river.  We believe
this is the first record of an American Bittern at Lake Estes.  In addition
we saw our first Willet, Brown Thrasher and Common Yellowthroats for the
year at the lake.

Gary Matthews
Estes Park