COBirders,

First, I apologize for the tardiness of this post.  On Sunday morning, nine of
us met at the visitors center (closed) at Bonny Lake SWA for an Aiken Audubon
field trip.  The weather was fantastic with cool temperatures in the morning to
warm but not quite hot temperatures in the afternoon.  Little to no wind most
of the day and few clouds to start the day with none to be seen later.

We started with a leisurely walk around Wagon Wheel campground (also closed)
which produced the only rarities of the day.  There were a handful of
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs, mostly consisting of Myrtle's with a couple of
Audubon's and a few ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERs.  These were the only two species
of warbler we had all day.  The first highlight came as we were checking the
large flock of AMERICAN GOLDFINCHes, it was a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO.  It
actually had very similar colors as a number of the goldfinches but stood out
with its bright white wing-bars, bright yellow spectacles, throat and belly and
its dark and different shaped bill.  All participants were able to see this
bird even though it was not the most cooperative.  It kept getting higher and
into thicker leaves.

We had been hearing both RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and NORTHERN CARDINAL from
farther south in the campground so we made our way there to see if we could
find these birds.  Once we were down there we realized the woodpecker was
actually a ways away and the Cardinal had stopped vocalizing.  Then all of the
sudden another bird started making a lot of noise.  Dan Maynard pointed out
that it was a WHITE-EYED VIREO.  Although this bird was being very secretive it
ended up being much more cooperative than the Yellow-throated.  It finally came
out of the junipers and into an Elm where I believe everyone got good to great
looks at the bird.  Not to be upstaged, right after everyone had their fill of
the Vireo, the male Northern Cardinal came in and landed right above us to give
spectacular views and it sang non-stop for about ten minutes.  I think this may
have been the real highlight for most of the group for the days trip.  The
Red-bellied never came in
 for us.

Later while walking around near Foster's campground (closed) we finally got
good looks at a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers.  The "reservoir" had lots of
dabbling ducks along with a group of BUFFLEHEAD and EARED GREBEs.  There were a
couple of 100 shorebirds but for the most part very poor viewing conditions.
The few things that Dan Maynard and I saw first thing in the morning before the
trip officially started were:   KILLDEER, AMERICAN AVOCET, GREATER YELLOWLEGS,
WILLET, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, LONG-BILLED CURLEW, MARBLED GODWIT, SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER, BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, PECTORAL SANDPIPER (1),
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and WILSON'S SNIPE.  Unfortunately, the shimmer sat in
fairly quickly and we did not opt to walk out there with the group.  I am
unsure of how solid the mud is and did not want to even bother chancing it.  A
few of us have tested that mud before, only getting into it up to our wastes,
not something to try with a field
 trip ;).

Except for the breeders that are just not in yet, I believe of the typical
birds you go to Bonny to look for, the only species that the group missed was
Eastern Bluebird.  We had a FIELD SPARROW sit and sing for us and give scope
filling views and a few of us heard an EASTERN SCREECH-OWL at one point but it
stopped quickly and we never heard it again.  The night before the trip, Dan
and I worked the marshes but could only find VIRGINIA RAIL and SORA, no
bitterns or other rail species.  We also heard Eastern Screech, GREAT HORNED
and BARN OWLs.

-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs