Still not lots of birds around, but between the banding station nets and the
feeder nets at the Nature Center we managed to catch enough birds for Hugh
and Urling Kingery's beginning birder class, a large group of Boy Scouts,
and an ornithology class from Metro State.  Busy morning!

House Wren       1

Gray Catbird       1 (FOS)

Yellow Warbler 1

Green-tailed Towhee    1 (FOS)

Gambel's White-crowned Sparrow          1

Red-winged Blackbird    3

Brown-headed Cowbird 1 new, 1 banded last year on exact same day.

House Finch       2

Plus, a female Black-chinned Hummingbird

And, last but certainly not least, last night we celebrated the official
opening of the Chatfield Banding Pavilion!  We have gone from a picnic table
in a weedy turn-around at the end of a dirt road to a wonderful structure,
designed and built specifically for banding birds and doing education
programs by 5th year architecture students from CU Denver.  Denver Water, on
whose property the facility sits, provided the funding for materials.  We
celebrated with about 100 friends - donors, board members, volunteers, and
the professor and students who did the work.

We are thrilled, and look forward to showing our new digs off to many of you
sometime during the next 4 weeks!

Meredith McBurney

Bander, Chatfield Station

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory