Happy Mother's Day!  Audubon celebrated with breakfast and birds for lots of
families - I'm guessing 75-100 visitors today.  The birds decided to
cooperate - we had more birds, some quite interesting.  Of particular note
were the Hooded Warbler and the Indigo/Lazuli Bunting Hybrid:

Least Flycatcher                                1 (FOS)

Dusky Flycatcher              1

Gray Catbird       3

Yellow Warbler 3 new, 1 banded in 2008, 1 in 2011

Hooded Warbler              1 (SY F; likely only of season!)

Yellow-breasted Chat    1

Green-tailed Towhee    1

Song Sparrow    1 banded in 2010

Lincoln's Sparrow             1

Lazuli Bunting    1 (FOS)

Indigo/Lazuli Bunting Hybrid       1 (M, looked similar to the drawing in
Sibley's, except the blue on the breast ended higher up and the separation
from white more clearly defined.)

Red-winged Blackbird    1

Brown-headed Cowbird               4 new, 1 banded in 2010

Western Tanager             1 (FOS)

We are open Mon-Wed; then closed Thurs-Sat; then open daily, weather
permitting, through June 3.

NOTE:  For those of you who struggle with hard to ID species (e.g.
separating the Empidonax flycatchers, differentiating between adult females
and young males, etc) or who would just like to see several of the same
species at the same time for more than 2 seconds, RMBO and DMNS are offering
a 2-part program on songbirds (Thurs evening, 5/24, and Sat morning, 5/26).
We will spend Thurs evening in the Museum's ornithology collection reviewing
skins of species we are currently catching, and then Sat morning at the
banding station.  We are limiting attendance to give everyone a good,
up-close look.  There is a fee; if you are interested, e-mail me or Andy
Doll, the DMNS Ornithology Fellow, at andrew.d...@dmns.org.

Meredith McBurney

Bander, Chatfield Station

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory