Last year we had 4 Cliff Swallow nests attached to out roof line. No issues
at all.

This year we have 8 (apparently the word got out that our house is a good
B&B.) nests. One oddity I noticed: this year an adult swallow died and was
hanging half-way out of the nest (butt end out), no idea why. The wind never
knocked it out. About 2 weeks later, I noticed the swallows had built a mud
wall around the dead bird making it was secured as part of the nest. At this
time, the dead bird is missing, and the nest looks normal (no holes,
patches, etc).

This week I've noticed over a dozen or a few more infant deaths; nine just
today. Some the deaths are new borns, no down at all. Some seem to be a few
days old with down.

It has been brutally hot here, and the nests face north so they get the
brunt of the afternoon heat: mid-90's for several days in a row, no rain for
over 2 weeks. We live in Peyton on acreage. We don't use pesticides.

I'm wondering the possible cause of the die off, or is this normal? The way
the nests are built, it doesn't seem like the birds fall out, but are rather
pushed out by the adults or other young. I have yet to find one that is
alive on the ground so I suspect they are dead before they hit the ground. I
know Cliff Swallows carry a "bed bug" like insect.  I'm careful to make sure
the ground below the nests is fenced off from our dogs, and I do clean up
the area a few times a week.

Any suggestions?