I drove out there today, and my worst fears were realized. It was not a
heart-breaking sight, but
more like a punch to the gut. It was like turning the corner expecting to
run into a vivacious friend, but seeing
a skeleton instead. When a corpse is found, someone covers it with a sheet
or blanket. But
there was no one to cover Last Chance from my view.

What was burned, what was not:

The short-grass prairie is black in every direction.
The bridge on Hway 36 a mile west of Last Chance was passable, and road
crews were repairing
some minor damage.Trees burned partly and I suspect that the owls that
breed there will be able
to return next year.

Northeast quadrant of Hways 71 and 36.  Motel, Dairy King and the houses
and juniper stand north of that appeared untouched.

Southeast quadrant: Skeletal remains of the old railroad cars are
smoldering. All else burned down.

Northwest quadrant: The church and other buildings there appeared
untouched. The riparian
area and prairie north of the bridge over  Hway 36 are totally burned up.

Southwest quadrant. Although the greenery,trees around the rest area and
porta potties were fine,
I am sorry to report that all is black west of the chain link fence behind
the potties - burned up burned down.
 The larger elm trunks were partly charred, with some green leaves at their
tops. May survive,
may not. I am not an expert assessor. But that was a mere token of unburned
vegetation, as EVERYTHING
except the green scum on the tiny water hole was gone, burned to the
ground. The land forms of our
favorite swales and draws were laid bare. The tiny drainage (valley) that
comes in from the east, crossing
under 71, is OK.

My biggest gut ache is that with the least rainfall, tons of black ash and
soil will FILL UP the water hole.
I just can't imagine what this will be like, unless there are funds to dig
it out with bulldozers ( and put it where?).
Yes, the grass and shrubs will return, but without a drop of surface water,
I know not what the birds will do.

It was pathetic seeing all of the thirsty resident birds coming to the
water's edge. The pair of Brown Thrashers
would come in for a sip, then fly a few yards up along the valley to the
south, as if they were going to hide,
like usual. But there was nothing to hide in. Western Kingbirds, Robins,
all came in for furtive drinks.

I am feeling too low to write anything about how it will be interesting to
see how things improve from here, etc.

Joe Roller,
in Denver and in the dumps