On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Ted Floyd <tedfloy...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I basically agree with Brandon: Post the data to your outlet of choice
(Facebook, WSBN, eBird, wherever), AND ALSO let us know here on COBirds.
For now, anyhow, COBirds seems to me to be the default archives for rare
bird info in Colorado. Maybe, some day, when we all have AKN (the Avian
Knowledge Network) electo-implanted into our brains, there won't be a need
for COBirds. But cyber-birders of the sort I have in mind won't be reality
until at least 2016... So, for now, I agree: cross-post all of it to
COBirds.

> Ted Floyd

I second Brandon and Ted in encouraging eBird users to also post their
sightings to CoBirds.

To that end, I wanted 1) to mention two easy ways to send your eBird
checklist(s) to COBirds, and 2) to make sure people knew about eBird Alerts:

*Sharing eBird Checklists on COBirds:*

1. Say you submitted multiple checklists for a birding trip. Simply copy
the URLs for each checklists once they are entered into eBird, and
including those URLs with a brief mention of your highlights in a post to
COBirds.  You can copy those URLs to a draft email as you enter each list
OR you can enter the checklists all first, then go find each URL by going
into "My eBird" and then the "Manage My Observations" link on the right of
that page.

Example: Here's a number of checklists noting a Common Nighthawk that has
been roosting outside my office window (in Ohio):
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10769187 (includes photo)
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10777461 (includes a better
photo)
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11101017 (includes photo)

2. For single lists, you can do the same thing or you can email yourself a
copy the checklist by clicking the "Email Yourself" button in the top right
corner of the completed checklist page, then forward that to COBirds. Note
the checklist comments (not to be confused with species comments) appear in
this email, but are private when viewed by a third party on the eBird
website!

Example: The last (most recent) checklist on the above list, where I've
left in the checklist comments (those comments aren't visible when you view
this checklist on the eBird website) and have omitted some links in the
species comments for readability: