This morning in the vicinity of University and Cresthill in Highlands
Ranch, I had the pleasure of watching a Swainson's Hawk circling and taking
long vertical dives, though never coming within more than 50 feet or so of
the ground.  Another scan of the field he was above revealed the second
hawk, presumably for whom he was conducting this display.  The second bird
was perched on what looked like a dead tree branch, one of two, that was in
fact bolted to a telephone pole, simulating a dead snag.  I'd never seen
such a prop before, and can only assume that they were attached to the pole
for the birds' benefit.  Clarification welcome.

Dave Cameron
Denver