This morning while Rob Raker and I were trying to confirm breeding for the Indigo Bunting in Bear Creek Lake Park, we ran across what we believe to be a young immature male Summer Tanager. The bird was along the road (both sides) in the seep area just east of Muskrat Meadows.

I would be interested in comments from other birders - the forehead, throat and breast were a light, rosy red color - I'm used to seeing a darker, rosy red coloring on Summer Tanagers. The belly and undertail coverts were a bright, lemon yellow color, not the greenish-yellow I remember seeing on Summer Tanagers.

We did observe a female Western Tanager in the same area yesterday.

Here's a link to Rob's pictures:
www.robraker.com/BearCreekLakePark/Birds/Tanagers-Cardinals-Buntings/

Mike Henwood
Morrison