I lead a group to the Ward area this morning for the 31st annual Indian Peaks
Fall Count in Ward at the base of the Mt. Audubon/Brainard Lake area.  Seven of
us including Tom Wilberding, Christian Nunes, Andy Cowell, Gary Matthews, Elena
Klaver and Judy Wright, were in three teams for a record day.  We had 52
species besting the 50 of 1992 and well over 1,200 individuals.

Good individual species included Dusky Grouse, Three-toed Woodpecker, Pinyon
Jay and Cassin's Vireo.  Good totals included 35 Band-tailed Pigeons, 18
Evening Grosbeaks and 56 Townsend's Warblers.  Note that over the previous 30
years we had a total of 88 Townsend's!

What is amazing is that for the first 20 minutes of the count, from 7:20 to
7:40 we had a total on one bird, a Steller's Jay that was silent, no less.
After that we were rarely out of contact with an active flock.

Bill Kaempfer, Boulder