Greetings All,

Jackson Reservoir was a stunning experience today, yielding 101 species and
nearly 20,000 indviduals. The shorebird list was 17, headed by 2 AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVERS not far from the outflow channel. Among the 4000 or so
Franklin's Gulls (nearly all adults), I was able to detect a juv SABINE'S GULL.
There was also an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, my first of the fall.

The woods were full of small pockets of passerines and other landbirds.
Rarities included 2 CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS and an AMERICAN REDSTART. There was
also a Least Flycatcher, Red-naped Sapsucker, 2 Green-tailed Towhees, and >40
Townsend's Warblers! One was almost certainly a hybrid, but it skeedaddled and
would not come back. Its underparts were nearly entirely white, except a small
oval of faint yellow at the lower chest/upper belly. The streaking was extra
heavy at sides of chest, so not typical for Hermit x Townsend's, leaving me
baffled. The face was so typical for a Townsend's that I wonder about a BT
Green x Townsend's but that bird will remain a mystery.

It would have been easy to have spent the entire day there.

Prewitt Reservoir is dead. The water has receded so much that the remaining
flats are of a substrate not conducive to shorebird food, and few were present,
the only one of interest being a Black-bellied Plover. Passerines were
essentially totally absent, except at the small pocket of Russian Olives and
Black Locust near the caretaker's house (in Washington County, pkg lot nearest
Logan County). There, a BLACKPOLL WARBLER brightened the scene, among a handful
of Townsend's (of course).

There is a farm on your left just where you turn for the Logan County end of
Prewitt. This farm is very birdy (must be a lot of water around) and there were
> 100 Barn Swallows, a Tree Swallow, and a most interesting Clifford type
Swallow. Its a very fresh juv with adult like plumage (no weird patches of
white on throat, etc). It is hard to place this bird as one of our normal Cliff
Swallows, but it doesn't fit Cave well either. I suspect that it is either the
"Mexican" race of Cliff Swallow or a (per Tony L's suggestion) perhaps a Cave x
Cliff (YIKES!!). However, the photos haven't been offloaded from my camera, and
this may just be a weird juv Cliff of the normal race.. we shall see.

Finally, at Akron Golf Course, there were not many birds, but there was a nice
TENNESEE WARBLER.

Good Birding
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO