Hi

The Longspur challenge

Now that most empids have left Colorado, the different Warbling  Vireo
populations have slipped out of town and the confusing "Large White-headed
Gulls" have yet to arrive, so how about traveling to the grasslands and start
sorting through flocks of first year longspurs. I just did and it is a humbling
experience.

Most of the Pawnee Grasslands are quite dry and correspondingly it is difficult
to find large flocks of longspurs. On Rd 114, just west of rd 49, the grass was
longer and greener and I found a flock of perhaps 200 longspurs and all that I
could detect were 1st year McCown's and Chestnut-collared with maybe a few
Laplands. There were no distinguishing adult plumaged types that I could see.
Because there were so skittish seldom could I get close enough to get a clear
view of their faces or see any distinguishing body marks. While the tail
patterns are distinctive between the three longspurs species, getting
convincing views in flight I found quite challenging although at just the right
viewing angle this is possible. At this time of year the young were just
emitting flight calls. While the audio field guides suggest differences in
flight calls between the species, I suspect this group was still trying to
figure out what each was suppose to be saying, although some individuals did
give the just "right" flight calls. The vast majority all sounded like they
were imitating each other. I suspect there is insufficient recording of late
September first year Longspurs birds to aid us in separating first year
longspurs.

Bob Righter
Denver CO

Sent from my iPad