I spent the day at Jackson Lake with a Fort Collins Audubon field trip. The
weather was idyllic. The shallow lake continues to impress, and we tallied 18
species of shorebirds by walking onto the flats from the Lakeside Campground
with the afternoon sun at our backs. This is the southwest quadrant of the
lake. Nothing outstandingly rare. Rarest shorebird was AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER
(3), seen at great distance through scopes – two of these were near the outlet
canal. Other uncommon shorebird species included:
Black-bellied Plover –5
Semipalmated Plover – 1
Sanderling – 2
Red-necked Phalarope – 8
Pectoral Sandpiper – 6
Stilt Sandpiper - 2+

Some common species were present in low numbers:
Semipalmated Sandpiper – 2
Western Sandpiper – 1
Willet – 1 (not surprising given the date)
Long-billed Dowitcher – 3

The remaining 7 species were present in healthy numbers:
Killdeer
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Baird’s Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Wilson’s Phalarope

Surprisingly absent was Spotted Sandpiper and Marbled Godwit, and perhaps
Solitary Sandpiper. One particularly bright juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper was
impressively suggestive of juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, but we couldn’t
turn it into this super-mega-rarity.

On land in the thickets of the west side, the only uncommon migrant we could
turn up was one first-fall Red-eyed Vireo at the Visitor Center. Several groups
of Sandhill Cranes flying over throughout the day were a good sign that autumn
is officially here.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO
www.pbase.com