Hi All,

As we were eating breakfast this morning with a guest from Alaska, we observed an adult male light morph Swainson's Hawk walking and eating earthworms on the golf fairway behind our house. I'm not sure if the bird was one of the pair that mated in the area this summer or a recent migrant (hunch is resident bird from breeding pair this summer).

Great sight to watch: The Swainson's would stand on the fairway, look around, then walk/run to a spot 5-15 yards away where it picked up an earthworm from the ground(rained last night), then either gulp the worm down whole or decapitate the worm and eat it in two bites. It would then stand and look around, before going after another earthworm in the same manner. Meanwhile for part of the show, a Black-billed Magpie followed the Swainson's, staying directly behind it, then reaching up from behind to try and pluck a feather from the tail, upper coverts, or rump of the hawk. The Swainson's didn't seem too perturbed and continued to chase down the earthworms writhing on top of the grass followed by the playful magpie. An American Kestrel also stooped at the Swainson's a couple of times, but wasn't able to chase it off. A nice breakfast by all!

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County