10/13/12 While birding with Urling's Beginning Birding Class at Wheat Ridge
Greenbelt we encountered a mixed flock of goldfinches in the tall willow
trees at the southeast corner of Bass Lake (Bass is the smaller lake east
of the larger West Lake).  I had set up my scope to allow the class members
view the birds and I focused in on a male Lesser Goldfinch.  Several of the
class members took turns watching this particular  bird through the scope
for a couple of minutes - I also rechecked the position of the scope
several times to make sure it was kept on the bird.  I was careful to point
out the distinguishing features emphasizing the black back and the yellow
front of this species (as a rule we are not allowed to identify the bird
for them, they must make the i.d.)

After the flock moved out of sight (to the west) in review for the class,
Urling talked about the American Goldfinches - and several of us revealed
that we had been watching a male Lesser.  She advised me to post this on
COBirds saying that it was significant because it is so late in the
season to see a Lesser Goldfinch.

Bob Santangelo
Wheat Ridge