Thanks to Steve for his thoughtful and informative contribution to the
discussion about this gull. For readers who don’t like inconclusive,
overly-detailed and lengthy essays about impossible-to-identify immature gulls,
hit the delete key now...

Here is a link to photos/discussion of a similar gull from California. Note its
all white head. It was thought by some to be a pale first-cycle Slaty-backed
Gull, and by others to be (you guessed it...) Herring x Glaucous-winged hybrid,
which apparently is a hybrid combination that can look like just about
anything. In other words, it is often suggested as an explanation for
oddly-plumaged gulls. In particular, first year hybrids of that combination can
mimic young Thayer’s and Slaty-backed Gulls (the latter from Alaska/Asia). It
should be noted also that this hybrid combo is common on the West Coast, and in
recent years, several individuals likely to be this combo have made it to
Colorado in winter, presumably from Alaska, where both Glaucous-winged and
Herring breed.

Sometimes hybrids show characters that are different from either parent. In the
Estes gull, four plumage characters don’t seem consistent with either juvenal
Herring or juvenal Glaucous-winged. These are the obviously whiter head, the
extensive white in the base of the tail (both parent types normally have all
dark tails), crisply barred scapulars (back feathers), and greater coverts (the
lower wing panel, when sitting) that are heavily marbled with white barring.
There are other gulls that breed in Alaska, and more commonly in Siberia, that
DO have these characters:
--Slaty-backed has whiter head, and frequently shows pale base of tail.
--Vega Gull (the East Siberian form of Herring Gull which also breeds in parts
of Alaska, considered a unique species in Eurasia) has whiter head, pale base
of tail, barred scapulars, and marbled greater coverts (all 4 characters!).

Glaucous-winged Gull is also a common breeder along the North Pacific coast of
Asia, and its hybrids with Slaty-backed and with Vega frequently are seen in
Japan in winter. All of the plumage characters of the Estes gull can be readily
attributed to one of the parents in these hybrid combos. The heavily marbled
greater coverts and barred scapulars especially recall Vega. Some photos of
juvenal Vega in Olsen and Larsson’s Gulls of North America, Europe and Asia
show a small, Thayer’s-like bill.

I suppose that Glaucous-winged x Herring would include Vega (as a subspecies of
Herring). I think Glaucous–winged x Vega better explains the Estes gull than
does Glaucous-winged x American Herring.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO