Jessie and I spent a couple hours at Genesee Mountain Park this
afternoon. The birding was pretty typical for this time of year, with
flocks of Pygmy Nuthatches and Mountain Chickadees and not a lot of
other species. We only had a couple flyover Red Crossbills and no
other finches. The biggest surprise was a calling NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL
that was calling from the south slope below the flag pole. It first
gave the chittering call that I usually associate with females, and
then a series of three toots. It called several other times, always
more typical male-like toots. As we were looking for it, we were
distracted by the strangest Mule Deer that I have ever seen. It had
apparently locked antlers with another Mule Deer and then somehow
managed to pull free with one of the antlers from the other deer.

Photos of the deer and few birds from Genesee plus the Brambling from
yesterday at the link below. I know it is just a Mule Deer, but I
think it's worth looking at. I have seen several photos of deer, elk
and moose with locked antlers that have died, but none like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinicola/

A link to the eBird checklist here:

Best,

Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu