Joe and others,

Glad to hear they're simpatico with the birders. But to make that
conversation even easier, the fine print is also on our side :-)

The posted sign cites Ordinance 6.05.050 Feeding of Wildlife. So, I looked
up the Lakewood Regional Parks code and here it is in full.  Note that part
at the end that says "This prohibition shall not apply to squirrels or
birds."

*6.05.050 Feeding of wildlife*

It shall be unlawful to knowingly place or provide food for any wildlife.
As used herein, wildlife includes but is not limited to skunks, raccoons,
deer, coyotes, mountain lions, fox, elk, and non-domesticated waterfowl.
This prohibition shall not apply to squirrels or birds. (Ord. O-98-06 ยง 5
(part), 1998).

Source:
http://www.lakewood.org/City_Clerk/Codes_and_Laws/Municipal_Code/Title_6_-_Animals/Chapter_6_05_-_Exotic,_Dangerous,_Vicious_and_Wild_Animals/2147488220/