A pair of mature Bald Eagles have been fishing and hunting ducks, geese, and a
few fish on Highland Lake for two weeks now. They are usually seen either along
the southeastern shore or northern shore areas. They roost in the tall
cottonwoods on the north shore, but I see them all the time in my cottonwoods,
silver maples, and elm trees along the southeastern curve across the road from
the lake.

Depending on the time of day and which day, a fairly large selection of
different water fowl can be seen. These include mostly Canada Geese and
Mallards, but there are some very small (about 30-40% smaller than the Mallards
and very cute, but I don't know what they are since I've never seen them
before), ducks hanging around in the weeds along the southern shoreline. Give
them even a hint that someone is near and they dive and head for the center of
the lake. Mixed in with the Canada Geese are occasionally one or two white
fronted geese. These usually fly in about dusk. Of course the gulls are still
around, but not as many as there were even a week ago. We had four Tundra Swans
spend the night near the northern shore about a week and a half ago. These were
identified by a birder (can't remember his name) who occasionally checks out
the lake. I think he is on this list, but I never saw a post mentioning the
swans here. The American Pelicans moved on about two weeks ago.

The lake is private but open to the public. This time of the year, unless you
are fishing, parking is free as is walking around the shoreline. Two sides of
the lake are bordered by Weld County Road (CR) 5. They are slowly filling the
lake after almost a year of record low water levels. Hunting isn't allowed on
the lake property, nor on most of the surrounding properties, but gunfire can
occasionally be heard in the distance, which often spooks the birds.

Pauli Smith
Highland Lake near Mead, Weld, CO