The FCAS field trip today (4 of us) observed 57 species, including the
following highlights (mostly viewable thru scopes) in Larimer County, unless
denoted Weld County:

Hamilton Res:
Locked gate at 7:15 am.
Ferruginous Hawk nearby

North Poudre Res. #3, and adjacent cornfields:
“White-cheeked” geese – thousands, mostly Lesser Canada
Snow Goose – 20
Ross’s Goose – 12
Gr. White-fronted Goose – 4
hybrid goose – 2
Lapland Longspur – 1 calling overhead

Wellington SWA:
Long-eared Owl – 2

Windsor Lake (Weld County):
Red-breasted Merganser – 5
Bonaparte’s Gull – 9 ad.
Thayer’s Gull – 2 ad.
Herring Gull – dozens
Lesser Black-backed Gull – 3 first-cycle
LITTLE GULL – 1 juv, terrible photos at
http://www.pbase.com/quetzal/ligu12022012.
Interesting gull – not seen well but suggestive of something strange, like 1st
cycle Heuglin’s Gull from Asia. First impression was a small, 1st-cycle Great
Black-backed Gull.

Lake Loveland (gulls arrived to north shore near swim beach at dusk; best
viewed by walking out on dry lake bed from swim beach):
Cackling Goose – hundreds at the duck-feeding area
Thayer’s Gull – 1 ad.
Herring Gull – dozens
California Gull – lots, still.
Lesser Black-backed Gull – 1 ad.
Unidentified “black-backed” gull – 1 adult, large-billed, size of Herring Gull,
very short winged, with yellow-pink legs. Mostly white head, with smudgy gray
line through eye. Suggested Slaty-backed Gull, which should have bright pink
legs.
Interesting gull – seen standing only, close to the adult mystery gull. A large
(Herring Gull size) first-cycle gull with all dark bill, but blacker at tip.
Some fairly pale gray feathers on saddle. Mottled brown wings but more smudgy
than crisp. Mostly white head and underparts, with smudgy gray line through
eye. Very dark brown tertials, finely tipped pale (with the one highest on the
back approaching slate-colored). Jet black primaries with no pale edging. This
didn’t really fit the usual stereotypes, and reminded me of what first-cycle
Slaty-backed Gull could look like.

Some of these gulls merit further study, and photographic documentation. My
next opportunity to watch gulls will be a week from today. I will probably be
at Lake Loveland that day (Sunday afternoon), if anyone wants to join me.

I hope that the Little Gull sticks around at Windsor Lake, and that others get
to see it. Windsor Lake was hopping with birds, and should be monitored closely
for rarities.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO