Hello, Birders.
As I and others have noted recently, there're an awful lot of ravens in Boulder
County right now. Yesterday afternoon, Sunday, Dec. 2nd, Hannah and Andrew and
I drove up to a raven on a post near Lagerman Reservoir that looked great for
Chihuahuan Raven (including details of bill structure and feathering). Then,
amazingly enough, the bird flew down to the ground where there was a bigger,
Common-like raven. The two flew off, sorta together, revealing marked
differences in body shape, body size, and flight style.
I wonder if this could be the same Chihuahuan Raven reported a week or so ago
by Bill Schmoker, Chris Wood, and Jessie Barry.
I also wonder:
1. How many more of these ravens there are in Boulder County, and where they
all are. I think they're spending the day in the ag fields north of Lagerman
and west of Longmont, but I'm not sure.
2. What they are! Obviously, there are plenty of Commons (and plenty of
American Crows), but I do wonder about the status of Chihuahuan Raven in the
county (and in the region). For sure, I appreciate the cautions of the
"Chihuahuan Raven deniers" in Colorado--and you people may be completely
correct! That said, I think it behooves us to pay attention to ravens, not only
in the Front Range metro region, but also all over the state. And who
knows?--maybe some keen observer, in the process, will find Colorado's first
Fish Crow, down at Lamar or somewhere.
(Changing the subject: Common Redpolls and tardy pelican still at Baseline
yesterday, Sunday, Dec. 2nd. Also, Andrew's favorite bird is the Northern
Cardinal, so we looked for, and did not find, the Hawthorne Street cardinal. We
did, however, encounter an earnest hiker who assured us that she had seen the
cardinal: the brilliant BLUE bird with the crest.)
Ted Floydtedfloyd57@hotmail.comLafayette, Boulder County, Colorado