Always great birding in cold and snow--we had both, temps in upper teens to
22 degrees and about 4 inches of snow today.  I found a 1st winter Black
Phoebe on the MacKenzie end of the Canon City Riverwalk today.  I also
refound the Ladder-back Woodpecker, a Townsend's Solitaire, a Spotted
Towhee and at least 1 (possibly 2) Northern Shrikes--all in the first few
hundred yards west of the MacKenzie Ave parking area.  Photography was
difficult in today's brightly overcast and often snowing conditions but I
got one reasonably good photo of the Black Phoebe that I have uploaded to
my Birds and Nature blog <http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com> (neat video
just below about walruses).

I found an immature  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Veteran's Park on H50, the
same location I have seen an immature Yellow-bellied a few times this
fall-so likely the same bird.  I also found 5 female and 4 male
Williamson's Sapsuckers (and one sapsucker species, mostly hidden in tree
that was not accessible), most on private property around Canon City.  They
are still doing a lot of moving around, seeing a male in places I saw a
female and reverse.  The most reliable spot, other than private property,
is at Lakeside Cemetery.

Other birds of note today include 2 Snow Geese among a few hundred
white-cheeked geese in the agricultural fields about a half mile north of
the Arkansas River, one first of the season adult Bald Eagle, one Lewis's
Woodpecker and a group of about a hundred white headed gulls (the ones I
scoped were all Ring-billed).  The number of gulls is remarkable in
semi-arid Fremont County where we have few bodies of water and few gulls
most of the time.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @