Greetings all!

Last night I got a call from Debbie Barnes about a Eurasian Wigeon found on
Sunday’s CBC by Bill and Dan Maynard.

This morning we followed her directions and came upon a small pond that had
about 16 wigeons in it. We parked and had just found the Eurasian Wigeon in the
group when all but one of the birds lifted off and flew to the west then
circled around toward the north (to the river?). The one bird that stayed,
amazingly, was the object of our trip. We had a good 8-10 minutes to watch it
before it, too, took off. We waited for a while to see if any of the birds
would return, but none did.

The best part of all was that this Eurasian Wigeon (excuse me not knowing the
proper 4-letter abbreviation) was our 350th species for Colorado this year.
What a thrill it was!

To see this pond, take US Hwy 50 west to Canon City. Turn left on Mac Kenzie
(south) and drive to the junction with CO Hwy 115. Turn right and go west on
115 to Willow Road. Turn right and go north to Willow Lane. Turn right on
Willow Lane and go until it dead ends at the entrance to a dairy farm. There
will be two tiny ponds on the right, and the birds were right there. (Lots of
“rights”.) We also saw a Belted Kingfisher, several Common Ravens around town,
some Black-billed Magpies, not to mention the NEW McDonalds.

Thanks to Debbie for calling and to all who have wished us well over the last
couple of weeks.

Good Birding!

Mel and Jeanne Goff
Colorado Springs