Steve, thanks for bringing up these points. You are absolutely right, we should
be curious and seek to learn (and document) as much as possible about bird
identification and distribution in the state, especially as the environment is
changing so rapidly. Ordinarily, I would fully support classifying Colorado
birds to the subspecies level. In the case of the redpolls, this can only be
done if the subspecies are well defined, and apparently they are not. So rather
than getting an accurate distribution of redpoll subspecies, conservative
identification practices are leading to strongly biased conclusions, such as
the one you quoted: the ratio of Common Redpoll:Hoary Redpoll sightings of
approximately 200:1. This assumes that any redpoll not definitively identified
as a Hoary Redpoll is indeed a Common Redpoll.

What would be a practical approach to learning more about redpoll distribution
in Colorado? I don’t think written descriptions or photos will be sufficient
for future arbiters to look back at this redpoll invasion and determine which
redpolls these are. On the other hand, a DNA bank would do just the trick. I
suspect the full genetic story of redpoll taxonomy has yet to be worked out,
but eventually it will be. Then, old records could be correctly identified to
subspecies IF the DNA from those records is banked (and then eventually
tested). I suspect the Museum of Science and Nature would be willing to bank
feathers for example (Feathers are an adequate source for DNA). Perhaps the
RMBO would be willing to set up mist nets or other traps and capture a set of
redpolls for this purpose. There is a small chance that a banded bird might be
recaptured later, which would also be useful information. This could be a nice
little project for someone (perhaps a university student), and I’ll bet funding
could be obtained quickly from the CFO project fund.

Would anyone from the Museum, RMBO or the CFO Board wish to comment on this
proposal?

Nick Komar