From: Ted Floyd
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 9:15 PM
To: cobirds
Subject: [cobirds] Gullapalooza recap

Hello, Birders.

Well over 300 (!) birders participated this afternoon, Saturday, February 2, in
Gullapalooza-2013, held at the Xcel Energy Valmont generating station, Boulder
County. We had 315 folks pass through the turnstile at the start of the outing,
and Dave Madonna tells me that late arrivals were still trickling in for some
time thereafter.

Wow.

The weather was glorious. We had a few gusts of wind, but, otherwise, it was
nearly calm, with warm sunshine, all afternoon.

Highlights:

Raptors. Ferruginous Hawk, Harlan's Hawk, Golden Eagle, numerous Bald Eagles,
Merlin, and Prairie Falcon.

Songbirds. Few and far between, but several of the groups saw a flock of Common
Redpolls. (Say, I just noticed that Common Redpoll isn't on the Boulder County
list on the Colorado County Birding website.)

Anseriformes. Numbers low overall (danged weather too nice!), and we missed
some common species. But it was nice to see 12 Tundra Swans still hanging on.
Also a lone Snow Goose, and several over-the-top-stunning drake Wood Ducks. And
the usual blazingly beautiful drake Hooded, Red-breasted, and Common mergansers.

Gulls. Still piecing together the pieces on this one, but some nifty ones were
seen.

--A decided crowd-pleaser was an adult or nearly adult Lesser Black-backed
Gull. We saw a for-sure first-cycle of this species, too, and a few not-so-sure
first-cycles.

--Somewhat ambiguous was a quite-pale "Thiceland" Gull. Several knowledgeable
folks were leaning strongly Iceland on it, and I respect that, but I,
personally, wasn't sure. This bird, whatever it was, was beautiful.

--Thayer's Gull. A glorious adult, a sub-glorious adult, and a typical
first-cycle or two.

--Glaucous-winged Gull. The description I heard, from multiple observers, was
perfect. Wow. As to whether it was "really" a Glaucous-winged Gull is an
insoluble and perhaps properly imponderable ontological dilemma.

Random other stuff: quite a number of Western Grebes, a couple of Horned
Grebes, a Black-crowned Night-Heron, and an awful lot of coots.

But the real highlight, truly, was all the people. It was great to see at least
6 parties of at least 10 children under the age of 10, and I suspect I missed a
few. All the "serious" birders behaved themselves, and graciously and
effectively helped the newer birders see all the great birds. The 4-letter word
"tertials" was used only once in my hearing.

A huge thanks to our wonderful leaders: Bill Schmoker, Bill Kaempfer, Christian
Nunes, Nathan Pieplow, Joel Such, Marcel Such, Nick Komar, Kathy Mihm-Dunning,
Jeff Gordon, Jennie Duberstein, and Amar Ayyash. Thanks also to Liz Gordon
(American Birding Association) and Maggie Boswell (Colorado Field
Ornithologists) for logistical support.

And thanks most of all to Dave Madonna, XCel Energy engineer, for his wonderful
hospitality.

Gullapalooza-2013 was sponsored by the American Birding Association, the
Boulder Birder Club, Colorado Field Ornithologists, Denver Field
Ornithologists, and Xcel Energy.

Ted Floyd

tedfloy...@hotmail.com

Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado