On a second attempt I did find five Rusty Blackbirds today at the east end
of the bike/pedestrian bridge just north of I 76 on the South Platte River.
They were viewed foraging in the dead leaves on the bank just south of the
end of the bridge. They were very skittish and flushed to the pond
northeast of the end of the bridge and then flushed again to the north end
of same pond (officially "Engineer Lake").

There were also four Red-breasted Mergansers on the water works reservoir
to the west of the bike path between I 270 and I 76. Three Bald Eagles and
one very light Red-tailed Hawk which seemed to be an immature Krider's. No
sign of the previously seen pelican.

How can you tell a newbie birder? He tries to oil the rusty blackbirds.

Bob Shade (Lakewood)