Today, I had the pleasure of birding with Chris Rurik in Larimer and
western Weld Counties.  Highlights included:

RED-NECKED GREBES (2) at Firestone gravel pits (Weld).  Kudos to Cathy
Sheeter for finding these yesterday!

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL (adult) at Lake Loveland (Larimer).

MERLIN at Grandview Cemetery in Fort Collins (Larimer), pointed out to us
by a friendly birder as we arrived.

COMMON REDPOLLS (approximately 30) at Discovery Museum in Fort Collins
(Larimer), including a pale female redpoll sp.  Numbers have dropped a lot
from earlier this year, so see 'em now....  The other uncommon find at this
location was a female Cassin's finch.

COMMON REDPOLLS (25) at Cobb Lake State Wildlife Area (Larimer).  (FYI, we
understand the chukars seen in this area are pen-raised birds that are
released for training hunting dogs.)

SHORT-EARED OWLS (at least 4, maybe as many as 6) in and near Wellington
State Wildlife Area (Larimer).  We saw the owls along Rd 3 between Rd 64
and Rd 62, and along Rd 62 between Rd 3 and Rd 5.  We identified this
location through ebird reports, some recent, some dating back to David
Ely's reports in the 1990's.   Watching the owls fly around at sunset was
truly a memorable experience!!!

David Dowell
Longmont, CO