Today Cathy Sheeter, David Dowell and I played Reservoir Roulette.
Little Jumbo was partially open, and had a few hundred white geese upon it.

Jumbo Jumbo Reservoir was mostly an ice cube, with about <5% of the water open,
mostly in the ne. corner. Entertainingly, they opened the reservoir for boating
today, which probably explained the confused look on the faces of some people
we encountered there today.

In the ne. corner of Big Jumbo, in Sedgwick County, there were several thousand
Snow Geese and a few Ross's Geese present, including a SNOW x ROSS'S GOOSE.
Also, we had our first SANDHILL CRANE for the year there.

N Sterling Reservoir was a pleasant surprise, about 80% open. High winds and
long distances prevented us from working most of the gulls, but we did have a
first year GREATER BLACK-BACKED GULL, 3 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS and TWO
THAYER'S GULLS. Along the edge of the south boat launch, we encountered a flock
of 65 or so COMMON REDPOLLS that included 3 HOARY REDPOLLS (photos to be posted
soon) - 2 males and a female. Perhaps more unusual was the CARROTPOLL, found by
Cathy, a male Common in which the red was replaced by a carrot-orange. Here's
to living like a vegetable.

At some random creek near the reservoir, we had a (presumably) early migrant
American Pipit. And scattered all about N Sterling Res, like so many robins,
were 160 or so Bald Eagles.

Finally, we visited the next ice cube, aka Prewitt Reservoir. At the far sw end
of Prewitt, in WA county, there were a reasonable number of geese and ducks in
the mud (Prewitt is by far the least filled of the reservoirs visited today),
including nearly 500 G White-fronted Geese.

Other notes of interest were 50 or so G White-fronted Geese at Jumbo and N
Sterling Res, a Common Grackle in Crook, and a Sandhill Crane along the highway
just e. of Crook.

I gather that the American White Pelicans from Prewitt a couple weeks ago had
departed along with the open water, perhaps going to Panama Res??

Good Birding
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO