I was quite excited to see the Mandarin Duck yesterday at Prospect Park
under the main parking lot bridge. I guess I missed the posts about it for
I was quite shocked to see it there! Luckily, I had my trusty video camera
with me.

Video Name: Mandarin Duck - The Love Triangle

Wheat Ridge Colorado on 3-3-13. It doesn't have an ID band so its origin is
unknown. Supposedly this duck has the hots for a particular female mallard,
but it seems that her male mallard companion has the upper wing. After a
detrimental blow to his ego, the Mandarin splashes it off in hopes she'll
change her mind when she realizes he is the better looking drake.

Check out the end of the video, it appears the Mandarin mimics the females
bathing pattern,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXTnzkeeYJo&feature=youtu.be

Alison Kondler
Jefferson County, CO