Here I take a brief flight into the rarefied air breathed only by
demi-gods, semi-devils and birding royalty.

I am a curious but under-informed watcher from the bleachers in the parlor
game of Taxonomy
of the Mexican Duck, presently a subspecies of Mallard or as they say in
the U. K. ... malLARD.

So I tried to educate myself about this teapot-worthy tempest. The first
reference I found seemed
to me to be a  readable summary of the pros and cons of splitting Mexican
Duck from Mallard. (Actually
this would be a "re-split" as in the past they had been considered two
separate species.

Way before that they were lumped with Pintails, Black Ducks, etc. by
indigenous people as "good eatin' ducks," and thus split
from the other category "don't try 'em" ducks like Mergansers and
cormorants.

Here is a link to the one page summary I found, which itself has links to
more detailed analyses.

http://10000birds.com/aou-to-leave-mexican-duck-in-limbo.htm
I am confident that there are many more sites worth visiting for those of
you who might not follow college basketball.

Your faithful correspondent,
Joe Roller,
Denver