Lynn and all,

I hope your owls do well in spite of the weather. They should be used to this
kind of thing, I would think.

As to owls taking over the nests of other species, I understand it's quite
common, and I've had some evidence of that while monitoring raptor nests for
the state parks.

I've been observing a Great Horned Owl that has changed her nest location three
times in the past three years. For several years, the nest was in a tall snag
in the middle of a picnic ground. The adult owl and owlets were much enjoyed
and photographed by visitors to the park.

All the attention apparently got to be too much, and in 2011 she moved, and
produced three young in a somewhat flimsy nest high in a nearby tree. I don't
know if this was an existing nest or constructed by the owls.

In 2012, after winter storms blew that nest away, she appropriated a large nest
used in 2011 by Red-tailed Hawks, also near the same busy area, and produced
two young. The Red-tails went elsewhere.

This year she did not return to the 2012 nest, and, after much searching, I
located her (I think it's the same one) about a half mile away in another large
nest used by Red-tails for at least the past two years. It's in a more isolated
location and difficult to see, away from the picnic areas but still near
trails.

I will be interested to see if she stays in this nest next year, and if the
2012 nest will be reclaimed by Red-tails. I've seen them in the area but so far
have not seen them at this nest.

Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO