Heard the first Broad-tailed Hummingbird while birding Harriman Lake this
morning, about 10:30 am.

Also, there has been a strange duck (south western portion of the lake) for
the past couple of weeks.  Today it was hanging out with a pair of
Mallards.   It is Mallard-like,but a little larger, and dabbling, The head
is mostly brown, with a definite green sheen on the sides/back of the head
(somewhat lighter than Mallard-green).  Neck ring similar to the Mallard,
but does not completely ring the neck, instead the white ring sweeps up to
terminate on the sides of the neck.  Breast is ruddy-brown like a Mallard,
but the bill is blue with a thick black line down the center.  Legs are
orange.  I am wondering if  I am missing something or if this is some sort
of hybrid.

There are 2 Ruddy Ducks here since April 4 tagging along with the
Ring-necks that remain.  Most of the Green-winged Teal and Red-heads are
gone.  A single Western Kingbird was seen Apr 4, but did not make an
appearance today.

Regina King
Littleton, CO